Greenhouse clean up included removing the pipe frame that held the plastic sheeting and moving stuff around so I can get the seedling trays that don't require bottom heat set up in the southern exposure of the greenhouse. I also trimmed out more dead plant material and fallen leaves. Citrus fared really well this year. The fruiting cacti that froze and rotted were pruned and the good parts were put into pots to root again. I will have to set it up differently next time to prevent them from freezing, short of putting them in the basement. I didn't water them over the winter months and they still froze.... except one, which is a different variety (some pink variety) than the others. Maybe it is more hardier. I don't really know. The yellow dragon fruit is pretty easy to root but the red one that did get zinged is a booger to get rooted without the cut parts rotting. They were all next to each other under the sheeting with the heater, so go figure.
All the straw that I had on the ground during the winter has been removed and chucked out into the garden area. Even the bind weed (morning glory) that sprouted up in the greenhouse has been pulled up and disposed of properly.... ie: into a trash bag. If I were to toss it out with the straw into the garden it would only re-root and cause me grief in the long run.
Hive has been checked and fared really well. Since the girls have been entering the hive with loads of pollen, the candy board was removed. The pollen that I put in a few weeks ago was untouched so it was removed, too. I'll write another post on some thoughts about what we will do differently next winter on the bees. Every beekeeper you ask on how to do something will tell you a different. For example, you ask 10 guys what to do and you'll get 12 different answers.....clear as mud. :-)
Anyways, so since we've been on the go with the longer daylight hours, below are some pictures of what we've been doing:
|Snow? We thought it was Spring|
|What was that, you say? Snow? Seriously?! Get it OFF my fur! NOW!|
|Peeps - time for the bigger ones to get booted out|
|Removed candy board from hive - will save the candy for winter|
|Clean candy board frame - won't put newspaper in next time. It just holds too much moisture and molds|
|Re-seeded pepper seeds and time to transplant the tomato seedlings|
|Soon to be transplanted outdoors|
|Tomatillos and luffas outdoors in the shade so they don't get sunburn.|
|When you have critters, at some point, you'll need to treat someone. This case is a minor infection one of the pullets received from the young, inexperienced roo who gave her a nice welt on the noggin. Open wound + dirt = the above picture.|
|Time to set up for seedlings|
|It's a lovely day for a stroll|